ss_blog_claim=8299156e03050359cb8b68c8a64e3980

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Book 'Em

I have mentioned that I have piles and piles of books that I haven't read...but once upon a time (and still from time to time) I have read some good ones.

Much of my non-fiction reading for the past few years has focused on trying to find our what I want to be when I grow up. Two problems with that: a) Not sure I truly want to grow up and b) There are apparently no books that say what I personally should do, and how specifically to do it.

Can't find that book.

But here is a list of a few that helped open my mind to other options for work beyond the corporate world of cubicles and long commutes. Waiting until you are 65 to start living your "real" life just doesn't seem all that reasonable to me anymore.

Which isn't to say that I won't someday go back and get a J-O-B...but I hope I can maintain some perspective about where work fits in the big picture. If you'd like to gain that same sort of perspective - here are some good resources:

Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways For Creating Work That You Love

It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now: How to Create Your Second Life at Any Age

Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons


Living Your Joy: A Practical Guide to Happiness


Live What You Love: Notes from an Unusual Life


I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This


Ladies Who Launch: Embracing Entrepreneurship & Creativity as a Lifestyle


I also recommend joining the newsletter at ChangingCourse.com. Valerie does a great job of helping to see what it would be like to make your work fit your life (rather than the other way around!) Mike and I went to one of her workshops a couple of years ago and came away all fired up to do new things!

I have to say, although this entrepreneur thing hasn't worked out quite the way I had hoped, (please buy something...) the idea of building work that is more fluid and tailored to my interests and lifestyle is awesome.

I am still hoping I can get there eventually!

Stumble Upon Toolbar
add to kirtsy

No comments: