ss_blog_claim=8299156e03050359cb8b68c8a64e3980

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"And then I found myself...

with a business."

These are words that cause my blood to boil at the moment. The fairy tale stories of people who made great birthday cakes and then "found themselves" with an industrial kitchen, a distribution network, and a staff of professional bakers. People who did craft projects with their children and just "found themselves" selling this idea for a kabillion dollars (yes, I am talking about you Jibbitz-woman).

This myth of the business that forms itself overnight and sells out its first round of production with no marketing, and gains national distribution because fairies went out in the night to spread the word.

Why does it make for a better story to "find yourself in business" than to say "I worked my a__ off to make this happen - and it was HARD - and I quit a bazillion times, but then I realized I was too far in to run now..." I think that's a better story.

Stumble Upon Toolbar
add to kirtsy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I hear ya, wouldn't it all be nice if we lived in the land of "easy business and kajillion dollars"!

Love the new blog by the way:)

Anonymous said...

Kristen - Wonderful blogging. You are a natural. I think this will be a super way to connect to your audience. Love it. xo Colleen